- Leading aesthetics company teams up with Zoosk, the #1 dating app, and renowned dermatologist Dr. Ava Shamban to help online daters fight their battles with acne and acne scarring
- Acne is the most common skin disorder in the U.S., affecting 40–50 million people1 and up to 95% of people with acne may go on to suffer from scarring2
- Throughout June’s Acne Awareness Month, consumers can ask Dr. Ava Shamban for skin care advice by using the hashtag #DrAvaSays
San Diego, CA (June 4, 2015)—Suneva Medical, Inc., an innovative aesthetics leader that markets Bellafill®, the only dermal filler on the market FDA approved for the correction of facial acne scars, is recognizing June’s Acne Awareness Month by teaming up with leading online dating company Zoosk and Dr. Ava Shamban, board-certified dermatologist and author of “Heal Your Skin,” to help people with acne and acne scars put their best face forward. A new video featuring Zoosk’s dating expert Joan Actually and Dr. Shamban reviews skin care best practices and provides singles advice for getting date-ready skin. The video is part of Suneva Medical’s commitment to spread awareness around ways to treat acne scars and the physical impact of the skin condition. According to the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), acne is the most common skin condition in the U.S. and the number of adults with acne is growing.1 Furthermore, up to 95% of people with acne may go on to suffer from scarring.2
“Everyone deserves to feel confident about their appearance and should never feel trapped in the dating scene because of acne and acne scars,” said Dr. Shamban. “Today’s advanced treatments can clear up skin imperfections and restore confidence. I encourage those who suffer from acne—and acne scars—to use June’s Acne Awareness Month as an opportunity to jumpstart their journey to better skin.”
One in 10 American adults are registered with an online dating service3 and nearly 60% of Zoosk users surveyed consider the profile picture to be more important than the profile description in a dating profile—making confidence about appearance of growing importance.4 To treat acne or acne scars and improve self-esteem, online daters should seek expert care from a physician and follow advice that includes:
- Adopt a Daily Routine—good skin is a daily commitment and should be part of a morning and evening routine. Consumers should cleanse their face twice daily and after perspiration, and get regular fresh air and exercise.
- Explore Treatment Options—with innovations constantly hitting the market, people who suffer from acne and acne scars are encouraged to see a physician who can review the latest treatments that can improve their complexion. From spot treatments for acne to Bellafill®, a long-lasting, simple in-office facial acne scar correction with minimal to no downtime, a physician can advise on what’s best for an individual’s unique case.
- Know Fact from Fiction—There are many acne and acne scar myths. Tanning and exposure to UV rays do not help get rid of acne scars or clear up acne. Another common myth is that acne scars are not treatable, which for many is no longer the case thanks to modern science and skin care innovations. Also, stress and hormones may be a factor in acne occurrences, but there are no clinical studies that have been able to definitively prove this link. Finally, acne scars are not only a cosmetic and physical problem. In an independent study, more than 70% of respondents felt their acne scars negatively impacted their self-confidence, with 92% indicating self-confidence would be restored or improved if their acne scars were healed.5
For more best skin care practices, throughout June, online daters and Zoosk members can send Dr. Shamban questions about acne and acne scarring by using the hashtag #DrAvaSays on social media channels. Follow Dr. Shamban on Twitter @DrAvaMD and Facebook.com/dravashamban.
“As we recognize June’s Acne Awareness Month, we are pleased to offer expert insights from Zoosk and Dr. Shamban,” said Nicholas L. Teti, Jr. Chairman and Chief Executive Officer at Suneva Medical. “Acne and acne scars are serious skin conditions that can carry physical and emotional burdens. At Suneva Medical, we will continue to do our part in helping people win their battles against acne scarring—from sharing educational resources to focusing on product innovation.”
Individuals interested in becoming a Zoosk member can download the app via Google Play or iTunes. For more information on Suneva Medical, visit www.sunevamedical.com. To learn more about Bellafill® and find a licensed provider in your area, please visit www.bellafill.com.
Zoosk is a leading online dating company that learns as you click in order to pair you with singles with whom you’re likely to discover mutual attraction. Zoosk’s Behavioral Matchmaking™ technology is constantly learning from the actions of more than 33 million members in order to deliver better matches. With the #1 grossing dating app and a top 25 grossing app on the iPhone in the United States, Zoosk is a market leader in mobile dating. Available in over 80 countries and translated into 25 languages, Zoosk is a global online dating platform.
About Suneva Medical, Inc.
Suneva Medical, Inc. is a privately-held aesthetics company focused on developing, manufacturing and commercializing novel, differentiated products for the general dermatology and aesthetic markets. The innovative aesthetics leader markets Bellafill®, the only dermal filler on the market that is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for the correction of nasolabial folds and moderate to severe, atrophic, distensible facial acne scars on the cheek in patients over the age of 21 years. In markets outside the U.S., Bellafill® is only approved for the correction of nasolabial folds. The company markets Bellafill® in the U.S. and Canada; ArteFill® in South Korea and Singapore; Regenica® skin care in the U.S. and Canada; and ReFissa® tretinoin cream in the U.S. ArteFill® was rebranded to Bellafill® in the U.S. to reflect the transformational outcomes this unique product can provide to patients seeking correction of their acne scars and nasolabial folds. For more information, visit www.sunevamedical.com.
1 American Academy of Dermatology, http://www.aad.org
2 Layton et al. A Clinical Evaluation of Acne Scarring and Its Incidence. Clin Exp Dermatol 1994;19:303-8
3The New York Times, The Science of Online Dating, http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/17/science/the-science-of-finding-romance-online.html?_r=0
4Survey of 1,184 Zoosk users, May 2015
5Formula PR Independent Study, 2013